Monday, November 1, 2010

October sales numbers

I published my first ebook, the short story trilogy Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds, to Amazon on September 30, 2010. I sold 2 copies in September. In October, I sold an additional 13 copies.

Even with such low sales, I did get into the top 1.1% of book rankings with a rank of #8,627. Here are my rankings for the month of October:

Each of the sudden cliffs is a book sale. The three jumps on the right are each one book sold. It’s pretty interesting that selling one book will jump my rank from #129,557 to #29,131.
I must admit to being disappointed by these numbers. I was hoping to sell 30 copies in the first month. Part of this can be explained by my minimal marketing effort. I did no advertising and minimal marketing. I posted on JA Konrath’s blog, Kindle Boards, and the Amazon DTP forums. Not very much, I agree.
My original plan was to release the short stories as a test. I wanted to see how the ebook did with little or no marketing effort. I think this prooves that you can’t just put a book up and not market it.  The good news is that there is room for improvement. ;)
What is the lesson to learn here? Work harder to get on review and interview blogs.
So, if any of you know of a blog that I should be contacting about the impending release of my novel, please let me know in the comments below!

7 comments:

  1. I think you'll continue to see growth in the numbers. Are you only on Amazon? What about B&N?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just on Amazon for the past month. Now working on getting it formatted for Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Konrath has said, Derek, I think your sales will sharply increase as you publish more titles. Don't get down ... keep writing (and marketing, too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Derek.

    It's me again. I signed in with the wrong ID the first time.

    Followed you over from Konrath's blog. I do two author interview series:

    HEIDI'S PICK SIX
    (http://heidirubymiller.blogspot.com/2009/06/heidis-pick-six-list-of-author.html)

    and PATHS TO PUBLICATION
    (http://heidirubymiller.blogspot.com/2009/06/paths-to-publication-list-of-authors.html)

    Would love to have you do one or both, if you're interested.

    Cheers,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, sounds great! Yes, I am interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am quite happy to help you out in the review department. From what I have read, whether you are self published or traditionally published its going to be a long road, at least until you get to some sort of tipping point.

    ReplyDelete